FIVE TIPS TO GET YOUR GARDEN READY FOR SUMMER
Here are a few tips to quickly prepare your garden and make a lasting impression on your guests:
- Add some color – Color is the first thing we notice in a landscape. Container gardens filled with exciting combinations of geraniums, petunias, impatiens, begonias and more can add a dramatic splash of color wherever it’s needed. Place a large urn full of flowers at your front door to welcome your guests, and gorgeous hanging baskets around the deck or patio, where everyone will gather.
At A+ Garden Center, we’re fully stocked with beautiful annuals and perennials. And we will be all through the summer. We carry a tremendous selection of hanging baskets, window boxes, pots, urns and much more in all sizes, shapes and colors. We also have a wide array of container gardens on display and available for purchase at our stores or we can help you with your own pots!!
- Focus on Fragrance – Plant some roses, peonies one of our frangrance shrubs near your deck or patio to treat your guests to a heavenly aroma. You’ll be surprised at what a difference it can make. Our experts will show you how fragrant plants can take your garden to the next level. Your visitors will reward you with big smiles!
- Tidy Your Garden – Just like you would straighten up your house before guests arrive, cleaning up your garden can make a big difference. Fresh mulch and edged landscape beds make everything look better. Mulch serves many useful purposes in the garden. It conserves moisture, moderates fluctuations in soil temperature, suppresses weeds, enriches the soil and makes your garden more attractive. But like most things in life, too much of a good thing can become a problem. Be careful that mulch does not exceed 3” in depth and don’t pile it up against the trunk of trees or shrubs.
- Spruce Up Your Lawn – If you have a few weeds in the lawn, spray them with an weed killer. Most weed killer destroys most weeds within seven to 10 days. One or two days before your party, mow the lawn. Make sure your blades are sharp so that they cut the grass without tearing the leaf blades. Keep the mowing height at 2.5 – 3.5 inches. Higher mowing height leads to a deeper, stronger root system and better drought resistance.
- Create interest in your landscape – Show your personal style and artistic nature with garden accents, such as statues, containers, chairs, benches, driftwood, stones, boulders, water features, gazing balls, wind chimes, topiaries, art – the possibilities are limitless. Make a splash with an overflowing urn or a fountain. Tuck a colorful chair or a romantic bench in the woods. Get creative with elegant sculpture or architecture, such as an arbor, trellis or pergola, covered with gorgeous climbing flowers and vines. Garden accents can serve as a focal point, anchor a landscape bed or complement and enhance your plantings.
If you need some help, call A+Landscape Division at 218-729-9079. Whether you choose to do your own planting and mulching or hire professionals, we’re here to serve you. At A+ Garden Center, we have all the plants and garden products you’ll need as well as Plant Specialists to provide you with expert advice.